CRM Associates’ research and analysis of Yellow Pages value can be easily summarized in the following 7 points:
Relevance – Yellow Pages ads reach and influence customers!
Yellow Pages are the most powerful medium for reaching active shoppers: One out of five individuals in an active shopping mode use the Yellow Pages (print or online) for information – more, on average, than any other advertising medium.
Yellow Pages are the most efficient and effective medium for reaching people ready-to-buy: Almost all users of the Yellow Pages (86% for both print and IYP) will make a purchase. No other medium is this targeted and no other medium can boast this high of a follow-through.
Yellow Pages ads help shoppers make purchase decisions: The majority (58%) of Yellow Pages users are actively shopping (have not already chosen a business). Even those that open up a directory with a single name in mind get curious and look at other ads – 55% of these users view other ads, and they look at 4 ads on average. In net, close to three quarters of users of Yellow Pages end up being shoppers and view multiple ads when they go to a heading.
Permission-based, Full-engagement, Highly Effective:
- Users are fully engaged. Users pay attention to ads 100% of the time because users actively seek out the information when they have an immediate shopping need.
- Yellow Pages ads are continuously available and reach people whenever (and wherever) they need information, at a point of time when the consumer is in a decision-making modeYellow Pages are frequently an advertiser’s last chance (and, in many cases, only chance) to affect a customer’s decision.
Brings in Great Customers
- The majority of customers (53%) received through the Yellow Pages are new customers to a business.
- Yellow Pages users ( both print and online) spend 25% more than average customers for most of the top headings. The average amount spent by Yellow Pages users of the top 210 headings in 2010 was $437.
- Roughly one out of ten Yellow Pages references are for business purposes.
- Because Yellow Pages ads do a great job of “pre-qualifying” customers, businesses have a strong chance of converting Yellow Pages users that contact them to paying customers. On average, while they consider 4.6 ads, users will only contact 2.0 businesses before making their final purchase decision. That translates to about a 50% “conversion” rate for every “call” or “lead” from the medium.
- Yellow Pages users tend to have major events occurring in their lives that drive the need for new types of purchases.
Good for an Advertiser’s Business – Yellow Pages ads deliver prospects
- The average top heading local display ad delivers over 150 calls per year at a cost per call (at 50% rate) of $25.
- The average national display ad delivers over 235 calls per year at a cost per call of $28. National display ads receive more calls because national businesses generally list multiple locations in their ads, and each location draws significant numbers of calls.
- The average space ad delivers over 80 calls at a cost per call of $10.
- The average National Trademark ad delivers roughly 90 calls per year at a cost per call of $9. Trademark ads benefit similarly from multiple locations.
- The average companion directory display ad delivers over 70 calls per year at a cost per call of $9.
- The average Internet Yellow Pages ad delivers over 90 calls per year at a cost per call of $19.
Great for the Advertiser’s Bottom Line – Yellow Pages ads pay for themselves many times over.
The typical local display ad delivers $10 of sales and $3.5 of profit for every $1 spent on Yellow Pages. The values for national display, space, and national trademark ads are even higher.